Thursday 4 April 2013

Model: Big Trak

Big Trak is a battery-powered, programmable tank toy released by Milton Bradley toys in the early 1980s.  Using the keypad on top, the vehicle can be fed a sequence of commands to make it move or flash its 'laser' light weapon.


The American version had grey plastic instead of white.  A trailer accessory was also available, which could tip up on command.


Long after the company stopped selling the toy, it maintained a fanatical following: you can find websites all over the Internet with instructions on modifying hardware to create custom versions of the vehicle.

In 2010, the nostalgic value of the toy was realised when Zeon Tech released a modern version (with retro styling), with camera and rocket launcher accessories, plus an iPhone controller app.  A smaller variant, Bigtrak Jr., is also available.

3D Model


This was one of the first models I made for this project, and was a key part of Phase 1 testing.


The basic model has a high poly count at around 1700 triangles, but in early stages I'd wanted something which would be fairly detailed.

With the Big Trak still on sale, I'd wanted to avoid any trademark issues so I've renamed it 'Space Truk' and will make further cosmetic changes before releasing the game.  As a bit of a typography enthusiast I pride myself on knowing most common commercial typefaces but it took me a while to identify Serpentine (designed by Dick Jensen); like Crillee, it was very popular during the 1980s but it seems to be back in fashion again because I've seen it on a few posters recently.

After UV-mapping the object I produced a colour map and normal map to add major surface details.  (This turned into a bit of a rushed job in the final stages so you'll notice some sloppy changes in the angle of decals across seams.)


The final model isn't too bad.  I animated the wheels before exporting, and it certainly works well in the game prototype.  I shall have to re-visit it at some point in the future, and consider adding the tip-up trailer as an add-on.