Saturday 15 September 2012

Welcome

I'm John King and this is my MA Games Design development journal.

This blog will show the evolution of the major theme for my project work, focusing on the research and experimentation which occurs during this process.  I'll also be using it as a dumping ground for indirectly related projects, which will appear in the "Other Pages" section.

 For my first act of wanton design I've gone for a 'retro' theme for the blog, taking inspiration from the old Sinclair ZX81 upon which I wrote my first computer games (30 years ago — ouch!)

The title also derives from that same period.  In addition to referencing popular 2000 AD comic character Strontium Dog, the name was selected to invoke the kind of dark, sci-fi nuclear-conspiracy imagery where you can feel that something sinister is glowing green around the corner.  (Blimey, it's getting like a JG Ballard novel in here.)

The top logo was created on Photoshop: the textured plastic case was created from scratch, using noise filters and overlapping gradient masks; the embossed lettering uses various bevel & shadow effects from different angles, with some subtle white outer glow to simulate dust trapped in crevices.

For the blog itself, the rounded white boxes and colour scheme (black, white, red and grey) continue Rick Dickinson's Bauhaus-inspired ZX81 styling.  As a final touch, the archive is renamed 'History'.