Sunday 30 September 2012

A blog is not the first draft

I'd had to rush the end of my previous post due to time constraints, and it's highlighted (highlit?) a couple of important issues:
  • Publish in one go.  I'd written a couple of items about books where I've tried to use the blog as "live notes" while still reading through the book.  Having re-read these items, I can see why that's a very bad idea -- the live notes are patchy & stuttering, rather than a flow of logic & prose.
  • Don't go back and edit posts.  Course leader Josh made it clear on Friday that the journal is meant to show development, and that altering content after publication can cause assessment problems.  I've definitely got to resist the temptation to 'tweak', which is a very strong urge.
So, the lesson learned is that I need to make offline notes while I'm reading or developing an idea and then publish the results in one go (typically at the end of a daily bout of research), making sure that the whole post flows properly and will not need 'tweaking'.