Thursday 4 October 2012

Balancing study & work

Blimey, what a week. Paid work has really got in the way of academic study this last 5 days -- one of the downsides of being a part-time student.

However, the good news is that I hit the university library on Saturday and took out a number of useful-looking books:
  • "A Theory of Fun for Games Design" by Raph Koster
    This really caught my attention in a big way.  Throughout my scattergun research, 'the experience' is coming up again-and-again as a key factor, requiring a balance of game elements. I'm eager to sample Koster's opinion on the matter, which I think is likely to provide lots of food for thought.
  • "Games Design Perspectives" edited by François Dominic Laramée
    You can't really argue with the experience of 25+ different game designers, and it'll certainly be interesting to see what they have to say on the whole experience/elements theme.
  • "Games Design Theory & Practice" by Richard Rouse
    A bit general, but I'm hoping this will either reinforce existing themes or challenge them.  I'm a bit too reliant on Jesse Schell at the moment, and need a bit of perspective.
  • "Persuasive Games: The Expressive Power of Videogames" by Ian Bogost
    Looks a bit high-brow and off-topic, but I wanted to check it out.  From a psychographic perspective, there is a definite relationship between the cultural & social impact of  creative media (literature, TV & films in particular) and the enjoyment that audiences gain from them.  This will undoubtedly apply to games too.
  • "Gender Inclusive Game Design: Expanding the Market" by Sheri Graner Ray
    Spotted this on the shelf and realised that I can't afford to ignore this.  Schell makes the point that the psychology of  'the experience' can be highly gender-dependent, and gives a handful of examples where the target audience or game mechanics were re-evaluated as a result of focus group research.  I suspect this book may turn out to be very important in my research.
I'm still waiting to get stuck into them and post some highlights, but I'm still getting quite a lot from the Schell book in the meantime.