Friday 18 January 2013

Land of Lost Content

My friend Jes has been a superstar!  Why?  Because she has introduced me to the Land of Lost Content!


This museum is based in Craven Arms, Shropshire, and claims to be the largest archive of 20th Century popular culture in the world.  Wow!  This appears to be a treasure chest of nostalgic items.


This is likely to prove an invaluable resource for my research, mainly because it will provide a number of triggers for development of game ideas (just like the pianola did) and may also provide visual content for "trawled" nostalgia games (such as my yet-to-be-developed "I Love The '80s" game concept, or point-and-click hunt-the-object casual games).


Fashion designer Wayne Hemingway has become involved with the collection, creating a digital archive of the content.  At present this is available only to "students and academics from subscribing institutions" so I'll need to investigate further.

With half of Britain covered in snow, I'm unable to visit this fascinating attraction but will update the blog with more information when the opportunity allows.